Jivanmuktiviveka of Swami Vidyaranya

Charles Wikner WIKNER at NAC.AC.ZA
Wed Oct 27 04:34:18 CDT 1999

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:

> [2] This is interesting.  I thought Tridandis were sannyasis who had taken
> the Vaishnava style of sannyasa?  Apparently here Swamiji is treating them
> as Advaitins albeit of an inferior kind.  Although their vairagya is
> "sharp" in comparison with the preceding type, they are still relatively
> inferior because they are still identifiying with the material body.

    That man is called a (true) tridaNDin in whose mind
    these three, the control over his speech (vAgdaNDa),
    the control over his thoughts (manodaNDa), and the
    control over his body (kAyadaNDa), are firmly fixed.

                           Manu 12:10, tr. Georg Buhler.

The tapas relating to these three is discussed in gItA 17:14-16,
and the virAga view of these is given in 18:14-15.  Such vairAgya
is indeed "sharp".

Regards, Charles.

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam