Practical Vedanta

Madhavan Srinivasan maadhavan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun May 16 09:12:10 CDT 1999

>From: Vaidya Sundaram <shambho at GEOCITIES.COM>

Dear Friend

>   vedanta and the
>people who are in the pursuit of vedanta are irresponsible, non-caring and
>self centered human beigns; for some reason

Yes, this is absolutely true. Is it  a fair thing to think about ourself(or
whatever you say like 'self realization') and dying to attain mukthi  while
lots of people(particularly indians) suffer from evils like
castism,religious riots,hunger,unemployment etc.,?

>Who is pained in the world? You? or the people who exist in your
> >perception
>of the world?

What a great thought. You are refusing to accept the pains of other poor
people and wants to concentrate on your comfartables by using some gimmicks
like 'perception of the world'. Is this practical vedanta?

>If you have a head ache and hence see the world has a pink
>tinge to it, but you "know" that it should be in all colours etc etc ... do
>you take the medicine or give the medicine to the rest of the world? See
>the
>analogy? You have a problem with the world. The world probably has a
>problem
>also. Solve yours first. That is all that is asked.

This is a pure escapism. We people settled in our lives and comfortably
discussing vedanta in the net. There are people who are struggling for their
day to day life. But you are advising that forget about other poor people
and solve your problem first.

>  Please understand that the reason some of us dont feel as strongly about
>"reforming" the world as you do, is not because we are complacent. We are
>all full of enthu and all that, but some of us place greater emphasis on
>the
>teachings of jnAni's like Ramana Maharishi and others, who literally
>beseech
>us to find our "Selves" and hence try as much as we can to find it.
>
>bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
>Vaidya.

Then whats the use of your 'full enthusiasm' to reform the world. You place
greater emphasis on the teachings of jnani's like Ramana Maharishi than
reforming the society. Can you place greater emphasis on teachings of jnani
than to keep your job safe, to get good hike in your salary, to get good
comfortables etc.?
In my point of view, 'practical vedanta' means : helping others, reforming
the society by eradicating - castism,religious differences,etc.

Regards
Madhavan