Lakshmi-Nrsimha-pancharatnam - 4

Anand V. Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 6 15:42:07 CDT 1999

|| shrI-laxmI-nR^isiMhAya namaH ||

  srakchandanavanitAdInvishhayAnsukhadAnmatvA tatra viharase
   gandhaphalIsadR^ishA nanu te.amI bhogAnantaraduHkhakR^itaH syuH |
  chetobhR^iN^ga bhramasi vR^ithA bhavamarubhUmau virasAyAM
   bhaja bhaja laxmInarasiMhAnaghapadasarasijamakarandam.h || 4 ||

  Considering that garlands, perfumes, women, etc., yield happiness,
  you wander about seeking pleasure (from them). Surely, those will,
  after (transitory) enjoyment, bring only sorrow to you, just as to
  the Priyangu creeper. O mind-bee! You roam about without purpose in
  the joyless desert of worldly matters. Worship (taste) the pure nectar
  of the lotus feet of Lakshmi-Narasimha!

  Notes:

  In this verse, a reference is made to the Priyangu creeper which
  is said to produce flowers if touched by women (strINAM sparshAt.h
  priyaN^gurvikasati). But more often than not, the flowers so produced
  are plucked by the women who may use the flowers for decoration.
  This leads to the sad condition of the creeper.

  The BhagavadgItA has a relevant verse:

   ye hi saMsparshajA bhogA duHkhayonaya eva te |
   AdyantavantaH kaunteya na teshhu ramate budhaH ||

   O Arjuna! Enjoyments arising from contact with sense objects
   are only causes of sorrow and they have a beginning and an
   end. The person of discrimination (vivekin) does not delight
   in them.

  The commentary of Madhusudana SarasvatI on this verse is
  illuminating. A few remarks drawn from the gUDhArtha-dIpikA:

  hi yasmAdye saMsparshajA vishhayendriyasaMbandhajA bhogAH
  xudrasukhalavAnubhavA iha vA paratra vA rAgadveshhAdivyAptatvena
  duHkhayonaya eva te, te sarve .api brahmalokaparyantaM duHkhahetava
  eva |

  Those enjoyments arising from the contact of sense and their objects
  are experiences of trivial and infinitesimal joy either in this world
  or the world beyond. Being associated with (pervaded by) attachment
  and aversion, they all are causes of sorrow indeed (in all worlds)
  up to Brahmaloka.

  taduktaM vishhNupurANe :

  Therefore, the ViShNu purANa says:

  yAvataH kurute jantuH saMbandhAnmanasaH priyAn.h |
  tAvanto .asya nikhanyante hR^idaye shokashaN^kavaH || iti |

  As many as a jIva (individual soul) creates associations (with sense
  objects) that are pleasurable to the mind, so many are the arrows of
  grief that pierce his heart.

  etAdR^ishA api na sthirAH kiM tu AdyantavantaH Adirvishhayendriya-
  saMyogo .antashcha tadviyoga evaM tau vidyete yeshhAM te pUrvAparayora-
  sattvAnmadhye svapnavadAvirbhUtAH xaNikA mithyAbhUtAH|

  Even being so, those (enjoyments) are not permanent but have a
  beginning and an end. The beginning is when the sense organ and its
  object come into contact, and the end is the separation of the
  (sense organ and the object). Both those two (ie. beginning and end)
  are thus known in those (enjoyments). Those (enjoyments) are non-
  existent (or unreal) before and after (the contact of the sense
  organ and the object) and they are manifest just like a dream in
  the middle phase (when there is contact). (So) they are fleeting
  and unreal.

  taduktaM gauDapAdAchAryaiH :

  Therefore, AchArya GauDapAda says (GauDapAdakArkikA- vaitathya-
  prakaraNa -6):

   AdAvante cha yannAsti vartmAne .api tattathA iti |

   That which does not exist in the beginning and the end
   does not exist in the present (middle) also.

  The summary of the argument above is as follows.
  Enjoyments derived from contacts of sense organs with their
  objects are, besides being only causes of grief, fleeting and
  transient. There is no enjoyment before contact and the
  enjoyment stops after separation. Whatever enjoyment is felt
  in the middle is unreal like a dream. So the person of
  discrimination should not be engaged in seeking such transient
  enjoyment.

     || shrI-laxmI-nR^isiMhAya namaH ||

 Anand