Snake in the Rope

Mon Mar 15 16:53:57 CST 1999

I take it for granted that not everyone (or even anyone) will agree with
my opinions but please at least do me the courtesy of assuming I've
thought before speaking.  In fact I have good reasons for saying what I
did and I stand by every word of it.

I try to base my opinions on the teachings of Advaita Vedanta.  In so far
as that this is the topic of this list and the subject its members are
interested in, there may be support for those views but I'm not in any way
an "official spokesman" for this list or Advaita Vedanta in general.
Nevertheless I would like to point out that Advaita Vedanta has a certain
set of doctrines it accepts and others that it rejects.  If you think this
smacks of dogmatism, you are correct.  Advaita Vedanta does have a set of
dogmas which over the centuries its' Acharyas have attempted to explain
and defend.  There is nothing to be ashamed of in that.  We can
legitimately discuss where those boundaries are but we cannot pretend
there aren't any.  And given that there are boundaries, there is nothing
wrong in examining whether a particular person falls withing these
boundaries or not.