AchArya and Prophet

Ravisankar Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Sat Mar 13 19:58:19 CST 1999

namaste

It is more appropriate to call shrI shankara as AchArya than
prophet. There is a beautiful verse in saMskR^itaM which
describes who an AchArya is. I will post that verse in a day or
two. An AchArya establishes the dharma firmly, he follows it and
teaches other to follow the dharma.

shrI shrI chandrasekarendra sarasvatI, late pontiff of kAnchi
maTha remarks that when we say "AchArya" without additional
qualification, it denote shrI shankara bhagavadpAda.  Such is His
greatness and importance.

I dont think it is required to translate the word AchArya. It
can be used as it is.

I have request for shrI Jay (Vivekananda Centre). Please use "I"
instead of "we". And please talk for yourself and not all the
list members.  In the recent mails you have used this construct
and it is objectionable.  To quote an  example in the recent mail
you write

>We are also very impressed that Sri Rama has defended Sri
>Ramakrishna and Swami Vivekananda in the past on some other
>lists. All list members will join me in thanking him for his
>kindness.

Thank you.

Ravi