Snake in the rope

Harsha (Dr. Harsh K. Luthar) hluthar at BRYANT.EDU
Thu Mar 4 16:29:28 CST 1999

-----Original Message-----
From:   List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
[mailto:ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU] On Behalf Of Ashish Chandra
Sent:   Thursday, March 04, 1999 10:33 AM
To:     ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU
Subject:        Re: Snake in the rope

Dear Members,

I think I should clarify what I wrote earlier regarding Maya and Snake in
the Rope. I am sure all of us are tired of the back and forth repetitive
exchanges but what I had wanted to point out was

    Not judging whether anyone here knows what Maya is

but

    Whether any of us KNOW what Maya is.

It may be helpful for us in realising the Self to categorize everything
else but the Self as Maya. I believe I have read earlier on this forum that
several texts state that Brahman/Atman alone exists. What I was trying to
find out was whether, when we make such a claim i.e. This is an illusion
(Maya) and Brahman alone exists, we are trying to repeat the words and
works of the Acharyas. This is far from judging anyone, in my opinion,
whether here or elsewhere.

I am attempting to learn whether any of us here have been able to find out
first hand, or even realize, what exactly Maya is. How do we know it
without knowing the self ?

This is all I am trying to find out Nanda. This is not judging.

Ashish

Dear Ashishji, your sincerity is greatly appreciated. You are certainly
correct in pointing out that intellectual knowledge is not same as Direct
Knowledge of the Self.  Everyone has a different path. For some, going the
intellectual route is indeed very helpful to refine the mind and by gradual
reflection to quiet the mind. To quiet the mind and to practice contentment
with awareness leads to Self-Realization.  The Self, although, it is Ever
Present, Ever Alive, Ever Aware, and Ever Whole is directly Cognized in all
its Purity as One's Own Self in Nirvikalpa Samadhi. It is seen Clearly Here
because all else is absent. Nirvikalpa Samadhi reveals the True Nature of
Awareness and gradually but profoundly weakens latent tendencies.  Brahaman,
Heart, Self, Being, etc. mean the same thing. All these are just words and
concepts which are left behind in the actual experience of One's Own Nature.
If you focus on your own experience and make it your goal to have
Self-Realization, and practice some methods or techniques that appeal to you
then you will certainly see it for your self.

Harsha