Snake in the Rope

Ashish Chandra achandra at WNMAIL.WNDEV.ATT.COM
Wed Mar 3 14:38:25 CST 1999

Dear Members,

I was following the discussion on Maya and Snake in the rope with a lot of
interest and quipped in with one or two of my own foolish observations.
However, I am beginning to think that none of us really knows what Maya
actually is : at best, we are attempting to understand/quantify it using
familiar objects and writings of Advaita sages. Please correct me if I am
wrong in presuming that all this is Maya only when one KNOWS that this is
Maya. Up till then, the label of Satyam Jagat of Madhva would probably
hold. Without realizing one's oneness with Brahman, how is it that we can
claim that all this is Maya. This is very real for us, is it not ? Realized
souls are probably the only ones who could claim the non-existence of all
*this*.

We must remember that Swami Vivekananda had attempted to find out from a
host of men and preachers as to whether they had seen God. It was only in
Ramakrishna Paramhansa, the epitome of a Guru, that he found his answer. Do
any of us know such a Guru in this day and age ?

Sincerely,
Ashish