Shri Rudram 1.14

Anand V. Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 25 17:17:03 CDT 1999

|| AUM namo bhagavate rudrAya ||

  The Rishi of this mantra as well as the devatA is BhagavAn rudra (Shiva),
  and the meter anuShTubh.

  namaste astvAyudhAyAnAtatAya dhR^ishhNave |
  ubhAbhyAmuta te namo bAhubhyAM tava dhanvane ||

                      (Shri Rudram: anuvAka 1; Rik 14)

  namaste - salutations to Your
  astu - may there be
  AyudhAya - to the weapon
  anAtatAya - to that which is not endeavoring to kill
  dhR^ishhNave - powerful and resolute
  ubhAbhyAm - to  both
  uta - also
  te - Your
  namo - salutation
  bAhubhyAM - arms
  tava - Your
  dhanvane - bow, the pinAka

  May (our) salutations be to Your weapon that does not endeavor to
  kill, though powerful and resolute. (May our) salutations also be to
  Your two hands, and to Your bow.

  sAyaNAchAryabhAShyam.h   (Commentary of sAyaNAchArya)

  he rudra te tvadIyAyAyudhAya bANarUpAya namo .astu | kIdR^ishAyA-
  yudhAya | anAtatAya dhanushhi saMdhAnAbhAvAdaprasAritAya |
  dhR^ishhNave svarUpeNa prahantuM pragalbhAya | kiMcha te tvadIyA-
  bhyAmubhAbhyAM bAhubhyAM namo .astu| tathA tvadIyAya dhanvane
  namo .astu |

  O Rudra! May (our) salutation be to Your weapon in the form of
  the arrow! What kind of weapon (is it)?  Because (it is) not
  fitted to  the bow, it is not exposed (as intending to kill),
  (although It is) by nature powerful and ready to kill. Furthermore,
  may (our) salutation be to both of Your arms. And may (our)
  salutation be to Your bow (pinAka).

     || AUM namo bhagavate rudrAya ||

  Anand