ADVAITA-L Digest - 15 Jun 1999 to 16 Jun 1999 (#1999-54)

Sankar Khrish kssubramanian at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 17 10:23:14 CDT 1999

--- Vidyasankar Sundaresan <vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
> Gerald Penn <gpenn at SFS.NPHIL.UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE>
> wrote:
>

> >The distinction is quite relevant here, because it
> could be (and, I
>
> You are right. I should have said well-founded.
>

> suspect,
> >has been) argued that no system of knowledge can
> purport to be well-founded
> >that claims that the entire universe is mithya.  If
> one accepts that
> statement,
> >then apaurusheya serves no purpose at all.  Ideas,
> anyone?
>
> The Dvaitins have already argued this. But it
> depends on what exactly one
> means by apaurusheyatva. If one holds that brahman
> is the source of all
> there is, then brahman also becomes the source of
> scripture. However,
> scripture also serves as a pramANa to tell us about
> brahman. See Sankara's
> bhAshya on the sUtra SAstrayonitvAt. The really
> strong view of
> apaurusheyatva was held by the pUrva mImAMsakas, but
> advaita vedAnta holds a
> much modified view.
Here is something that I read in HH Sri Chandrasekarendra Sarasvathi's
discourses.  He says Sruti indeed is the breath of brahman and it
certainly makes sense.  So they should have come into being, if we can
use that word, simultaneously.  In that case both brahman and Sruti are
existing since time immemorial, or should I say they transcend time.  I
will get that portion of his discourse transliterated and post it soon.

Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:29:46 -0400
To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG>
From: Ashish Chandra <achandra at WNMAIL.WNDEV.ATT.COM>
Subject: Nahhusha Episode in MBh.

Namaskaar All,

Could someone please direct me to the Nahusha episode in MBh. I might be
able to put it to some immediate good use.

Thanks
Ashish