vishNu sahasranAma

Vaidya Sundaram Vaidya_Sundaram at I2.COM
Tue Jun 8 10:51:00 CDT 1999

namaskAram.
 IF you will notice Ram, the word to word translation does not say anything
about Lord Ganesha - Lord who wears a clear white clothing (suklAm bharadaram),
who is omnipresent (vishnu), who has the colour of the moon (sashi varnam), foru
hands, (chatur bhujam), smiling and pleasant face, and may he remove all
obstacles.
 Usually a lot of people also say the following mantra right after the first:
yasya dviradavaktraadyaaH paariShadyaaH paraH shatam .
vighnaM nighnanti satataM viShvakasenaM tamaashraye
 Here you are praying to vishvaksena to remove obstacles. It is Mahavishnu who
is usually associated with vishvaksena.
 I guess the fact that always, we pray to Lord Ganesha first to remove obstacles
has brought in this thinking. So I dont see a reason to suppose, one way or
another, that the suklAma bharadharam ...slokam refers to Lord Ganesha in
particular. In fact I have seen a few people say that the reference to chatur
bhujam makes it clear that it is Mahavishnu and not Lord Ganesha, since in a lot
of other places, Lord Ganesha is associated with His elephant face and hence
considered to have five hands (including the trunk).
 It will be interesting to note that our Acharya of Kanchi, HH
Chandrasekharendrasaraswati swamigal in his book Deivathin Kural (Words of God)
discusses at length a particular sloka by mannargudi periaval. An amazing prayer
to lord Ganesha, which is very poetic and instructive as well. HH's discussion
on this four line sloka runs to well over 45 pages!! I will try and summarize
and post it later.

bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
Vaidya.