Nature of Consciousness

Greg Goode goode at DPW.COM
Fri Jul 23 09:27:11 CDT 1999

At 07:02 PM 7/22/99 , Parisi & Watson wrote:

I'm not asking anyone to _make_ the materialistic assumptions;
>I'm just pointing out that consciousness as the medium of all human
>experience is not a deciding point between materialistic and other
>assumptions, including Vedantic ones.

Maybe I'm not sure what you mean by "consciousness as the medium of all human
experience."  In advaita, consciousness is the medium, the sum and
substance of everything.  Could you restate that sentence in different
words so I can understand it better?

So, for Advaita, there would be no brain outside of consciousness, for
there is something that is not the brain which sees the brain.  According
to your statement of consciousness being the medium of all human
experience, how would you interpret the existence of the brain, or anything
else, such as apples and schoolbuses?

--Greg