SAmkhya and VedAnta

Harsha (Dr. Harsh K. Luthar) hluthar at BRYANT.EDU
Mon Feb 15 22:52:24 CST 1999

Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, nanda chandran wrote:
>
> > SAmkhya is acknowledged to be the oldest darshana in BhArath.
>
> In terms of metaphysics, yes probably, but the systematic
> analysis of language as in Mimamsa and Vyakarana can also claim ancient
> heritage.  So it not necessary to assume that later philosophers owed a
> debt to samkhya specifically though in some cases it is probable they did.

Harsha: Although I am not a scholar, it seems that Shri Shankracharya is
clearly the most prominent Indian Philosopher/Saint on Advaita Vedanta. His
works are of overwhelming beauty.  Ramana Maharshi spontaneously translated
(somewhat freely) many of Shankra's works from Sanskrit to Tamil emphasizing
his affinity with Sri Shankra. Having said that, it is also obvious that Sri
Shankra did not expound his philosophy in isolation and that He is embedded in
a larger context of Indian philosophy. Therefore his views probably owe some
debt to the Sages who went before him. In that context, Nanda Ji's view and
Jay Ji's comments appear reasonable. Also, I would say that the vitality of
Advaita Vedanta depends on Direct Experience of the Self. So Advaita Sages of
every generation must Renew and Realize in their Own Heart the Truth that Sri
Shankra spoke of.

Love to all