Vishnusahasranama Bhashya

Fri Feb 5 00:07:23 CST 1999

Yudhishtira asks Bhishma six questions.

1.  In all the worlds, who is described as the one God?

Shankaracharya notes that by worlds is meant all the branches of
knowledge.  Ones intellect and imagination can take one far beyond the
limits of the mundane world.

2.  What is the ultimate goal?

Human beings have the power to do many things.  Yudhistira wants to know
what is the most importand and advantageous thing a man can do.

3,4. By praising whom and worshipping whom will Men gain the highest good?

Why are praise (stuti) and worship (archana) mentioned seperately?  aren't
they synonyms.  Here praise refers to the whole range of mental worship
where even if we are singing we are primarily _thinking_ about Bhagavan as
opposed to te physical acts of worship in the home or temple etc.  It is
wrong to stress one over the other.  Both are equally important.  A persom
may perform all the required acts diligently but without ever stopping to
think about what he is doing.  A person may be so in love with the concept
of Vedanta, he may completely forget to actually practice it.  Both these
types are lacking what is needed to achieve the highest good.

5. Of all the Dharmas, which do you consider the best?

When speaking of Dharma how do you judge better or worse?  The criteria is
the extent to which an act increases goodness.  Things like charity for
example increase the fortune of ones fellow beings.  Other deeds gain
wealth, children etc. for their doer.  But one realizes that all these
types of goodness though real are ephemeral.  So that goodness which is
eternal and without beginning or end is the highest goal and its pursuit
is the highest Dharma.

6  By the repeated practice of which Dharma will creatures be released
   from the chains of samsara?

The bonds of samsara bind tightly and it is a very rare person who can
shrug them off just like that.  Thus it is by repetition (japa) that one
can hack away at samsara.  Shankaracharya notes that while manava (human)
was used in preceding shlokas, here jantu(that which is born) is used.
This is because by samsara is meant chiefly the cycle of birth and death.
(Though all other forms of action and consequences are include also.)  And
in the matter of death the Humans predicament is no different from an ant
or any other living creature.

Next time I'll write what Bhishmas answers to these questions were.