Vedic Religion

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 16 15:05:07 CDT 1999

>This is precisely what is being said.  The Mimamsakas as was mentioned
>earlier wanted to make absolutely sure the words and message of the Vedas
>were not tampered with even by people with the best of intentions.  Now in
>ancient times the cutting edge of scientific theory was the universe is
>made out of five elements, earth, air, water, fire, and akasha.  Would you
>accept such a theory based on what you know today?  I don't think anyone
>reading this would.  If the authority of the Vedas depended on something
>as ephemeral as the prevailing scientific theory, (A good scientist must
>be prepare to drop even long-held notions at the drop of a hat) the Vedas
>would have been dismissed as irrelevant or severely tmpered with long ago.
>So they argued that the authority of the Vedas is on two subjects, Dharma,
>and Moksha only.  If I say Rakshabandhan is on the 26th, how can it be
>scientifically proved or disproved that I'm right or wrong?
>
>If we look at the history of the West, there has been much conflict
>between Science and Religion but Indian history has been free of that.
>That's because we respect the role of each in its respective sphere but
>don't try and scramble the two together.

The import of what I am saying is that there *must* definitely have been a
process that a person had undergone before he became fit to *receive* the
mantra. I am not saying that the Mantras were the conclusion of a research
but that the state that enabled one to *see* the Mantras was the result of
that research/experimentation. So the statement that Rishis just somehow saw
the Mantras does not hold out. Otherwise, its quite possible that many of
the current Siddh Purushas as well as realized souls should have been able
to *see* the Mantras.

As far as the statement "everything is made of air, fire, water, earth and
ether" is concerned, where has this fact not held out ?

namaste
ashish