Selections from the advaita-siddhi - 1

Anand V. Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 9 15:36:30 CDT 1999

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:17:17 -0400, Greg Goode <goode at DPW.COM> wrote:

>Thank you Anand,
>
>For posting excerpts from this very valuable work.  Is there any way it can
>be obtained in the U.S.?

 Your best bet is to contact a book seller such as Chetana in India
 or even Amazon and ask them to order it from the publishers, Parimal
 Publications, Delhi. The entire book runs into more than several
 hundred pages in fine print and in sanskrit. I would say that the
 advaita-siddhi is hard to understand without suitable explanations
 and a commentary. Even the gauDa-brahmAnandi is hard to understand and
 is replete with navya nyAya technical terms, such as "avachchhedaka",
 "avachchhinna" and so on. I found the ViTThaleshopAdhyAyI much easier,
 and it appears that the author has taken care to present the discussions
 in a relatively less technical manner, for the benefit of students.

 In my opinion, it is best to study a standard book such as D.H.H.
 Ingalls book "Materials for the study of Navya Nyaya" in English,
 before tackling the advaita-siddhi.

 Anand