ADMIN: DIGEST mode

Ravi msr at COMCO.COM
Wed Apr 21 13:43:51 CDT 1999

namaste

I realized that during the move, the DIGEST mode information
was last for the members who were recieving the mail as a
digest. In order to set it back, please send a mail to
listserv at advaita-vedanta.org and in the body type the
message,

SET ADVAITA-L DIGEST

This should do the job.  To find out more about your
options, please use

QUERY ADVAITA-L

Ravi

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/

>From  Wed Apr 21 16:20:57 1999
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:20:57 -0500
To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG>
From: Parisi & Watson <niche at AMERITECH.NET>
Subject: Re: Philosophical Views and Certain Knowledge

Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
<snip>
> There can't be any assurance in the beginning.  It's a gamble.
> Faith in the Guru and the teachings of Vedanta are necessary
> prerequisites for Sadhana.  If a person doesn't have them, they
> should find something else. There is nothing wrong with that.  I
> don't think anyone would be well-served by a philosophy that tried
> to be everything to everyone.  For those who make the gamble, the
> assurance will develop.

How does the assurance develop? If we take as a given that realization
may not come in this lifetime, then how is assurance developed short of
that? This may seem like a pointless academic question, but to me it's
vital. I'm awash in philosophical doubts and questions as always, and
I'm having problems understanding how I can suspend judgment and proceed
on faith for, in all probability, the entire remainder of my life. So if
there are some grounds for assurance prior to full realization, but
consisting of more than just being convinced by intellectual arguments,
then I would very much like to know what they are.

As with my original question, I ask this, not to be confrontational, but
with a sincere wish to find out the answer.

Robert.