Shri Rudram 1.7

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 26 14:42:38 CST 1998

              || AUM namo bhagavate rudrAya ||

 The Rishi of this mantra is kAla or marutvAn,
 the deity Rudra, and the meter Pankti.

 BhaTTa bhAskara mentions the dhyAna shloka in
 the next mantra. I am including a different
 shloka for this Rik:

 sUryamaNDalamadhyasthaM sAMbaM saMsArabheShajam.h|
 nIlagrIvaM virUpAxaM namAmi shivamavyayam.h    ||

 I bow to the three-eyed, blue-throated Shiva, who
 is situated in the center of the solar disc, who
 is accompanied by pArvatI, who is the medicine
 that heals the disease of saMsAra.

  (shrIrudraprashna - anuvAka 1, Rik 7)

 asau yastAmro aruNa uta babhruH sumaN^galaH |
 ye chemAM rudrA abhito dikshhu shritAH sahasrasho
 vaishhAM heDa Imahe ||

 asau - That
 yaH - who (Rudra)
 tAmro - (deep) coppery red
 aruNa - (slightly) rosy red
 uta - also
 babhruH - golden colored
 sumaN^galaH - extremely auspicious
 ye - who
 cha - others
 imAM abhito - around this earth
 rudrAH - Rudras
 dikshhu shritAH - present in all directions
 sahasrasho - by the thousands
 eshhAM heDa (heLa) - the anger of these
 avemahe - we remove

 sAyaNAchAryabhAShyam.h   (Commentary of sAyaNAchArya)

 yo rudro .asau maNDalasthAdityarUpaH sa cha tAmra udayakAle
 .atyantaraktaH | aruNa udayAdUrdhvamIshhadraktaH | utApi cha
 babhrustato .apyUrdhvaM piN^galaH | evamanye .api varNAstattat-
 kalagatA unneyAH | sumaN^galo nAnAvarNaH saMstadA tadA .andha-
 kArAdinivartakatvAdatyantamaN^galaH | ye chAnye rashmirUpA
 rudrA imAmabhito .asyA bhUmeH parito dixu shritAH prAchyAdi-
 dixvavasthitAH te cha sahasrasho .anekasahasrasaMkhyAkA eshhA-
 mAdityatadrashmirUpANAM sarveshhAM rudrANAM heDaH krodha-
 sadR^ishaM tIxNatvamavemahe bhaktinamaskArAdinA nivArayAmaH |

 That Rudra who is situated in the solar disc in the form of Aditya
 is deep red (coppery red) while rising. After rising, He is slightly
 red. Afterwards, He is golden-yellow. In this way, other colors (of
 the sun) arise at different times. (This Rudra) having different
 colors dispels darkness at different times and is hence extremely
 auspicious (sumaN^galaH). Those other forms of Rudra are the rays
 (of the sun) and they are situated in all directions such as the
 east, etc., around this earth by the thousands. We appease or remove
 the anger resembling heat of all these Rudras of the form of the
 rays of the sun by devotion, salutations, and so on.

 Notes based on commentary of BhaTTa BhAskara

 1) "asau yastAmra ityanenA .adityamupatiShThate" iti shatapatha-
    brAhmaNam.h|

    The Shatapatha brAhmaNa says "One should worship Aditya, the sun
    with the mantra "asau yastAmro..."

    Why is the sun a form of Rudra?

 2) "devasya jagadupasaMhArakamUrtiShvaShTamUrtiShvAdityasyApy-
     antarbhAvAt.h"

    Aditya (the sun) is included in the eight forms of Rudra by
    which He destroys the world (at the time of destruction).

 3) The sun is the directly perceivable form of Rudra. He is
    referred to as "That" (asau) because one can point to Him
    with the finger.

    "asau ityaN^gulyA nirdishati"

 4) BhaTTa BhAskara gives an alternative definition of "babhru"-
    "vishvaM bibharti bodhapradAnAdineti babhruH"
    He (Shiva) supports the universe by bestowing knowledge, etc..
    So He is babhru.

 5) According to the statement of YAska "heDa anAdare| heDaH
    krodhaH", the word "heDa" can mean disrespect or anger.
    BhaTTa BhAskara says both senses may be taken (ubhayamapi
    gR^ihyate) in understanding the words "heDa avemahe" of the
    mantra. Why?

 6) "vihitAtikramanimittamasmadviShayamanAdaraM pratiShiddhasevA-
    nimittaM krodhaM chetyubhayamapyapanayAma iti"

    We (pray to) remove any disrespect or contempt towards us
    caused by (our) transgressing or neglecting ordained duties
    as well as any anger caused by (our) performing prohibited
    actions.

    The nonperformance or neglect of actions ordained by
    injunctions or the performance of actions that are prohibuted
    will cause Rudra to be angry. So the devotee prays Rudra so
    that He may pardon any neglect or nonperformance of ordained
    actions and the performance of any prohibited actions.

              || AUM namo bhagavate rudrAya ||

 Anand