"ADVAITA AND MONISM "

Guy Werlings guy.werlings at WANADOO.FR
Fri Oct 9 10:37:40 CDT 1998

Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote on 5 Oct:

> On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Guy Werlings wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > d) Is there in Indian philosophy any "ekAtmavAda" which would better
> > deserve to be translated by the word "monism" ? I think I heard at least
> > the word ekAtmavAda, but perhaps was it in svapasthAna ?!
> >

> Given your description, it seems the Shuddhadvaita Vedanta of Vallabha
> might fit the bill.  Vallabha was an Andhra Brahman who lived in various
> parts of North India during the reign of the Mughal emperor Akhbar.  His
> philosphy is expressed in commentaries on the Brahmasutras, Bhagavata
> Purana, and Bhagvadgita and in 16 small stotras and prakaranas called
> shodasagrantha.  Some of these works were completed after his death by
> his son Vitthalnath. (...)
> This removes the need for maya to explain the phenomenal world,
> which Vallabha like other medieval Vedantins considered a fatal defect in
> Shankaracharyas philosophy.  Thus his system is called shuddha or "pure"
> advaita.  It is also called Pushti Marga ("The path of prosperity")
> because an implication of this theory is if the world is God, there is no
> need to renounce the world.  Vallabha and Vittalnath along with their
> descendants (the hereditary leaders or Goswamis of this sampradaya) are
> householders

Namaste !

Thank you for your info. One more small question for which I need a
clarification from you : I had remained under the impression that
Goswamis were the descendants and followers of SrI Caitanya, not of
Vallabha. Have I dreamt that also ?

With respects

bhava shankara deshika me sharaNam

Guy