ashtottaram (fwd)

Ravi Mayavaram msr at REDDY20.TAMU.EDU
Tue May 12 22:40:06 CDT 1998

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 16:27:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Vidyasankar Sundaresan <vidya at cco.caltech.edu>
To: msr at reddy20.tamu.edu
Subject: Re: ashtottaram

Hi Ravi,

I confirmed that dhIH is a feminine root, meaning thought/understanding,
which becomes dhiye or dhiyai in the caturthI vibhakti. I think dhiye will
be a better choice. It is one of those rare declensions that finds special
mention in the grammar books, and is therefore easily forgotten! Also,
check with John Grimes if candramas takes forms like manas or like normal
a-kArAnta roots. I suspect that it is like manas, which means that the
dative would be candramase; if it is a standard a-kArAnta, candramAya
would be correct, but I wasn't able to check on this.

Vidyasankar