Brahman and Ritam

Vivek Anand Ganesan v_ganesan at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 31 18:29:45 CST 1998

Namashkar,
   I once again thank Shree Anand Hudli for his well-written and
informative reply to my previous question.  I have another question.

   I read about this term called "Ritam" in an English translation of
the Vedas.  The author maintains that "Ritam" was the primordial
"Brahman" i.e. "Ritam" was the Universal Existence present in the
Samhitas before the more intellectual concept of "Brahman", discussed
in the Aranyakas and Upanishads.  Is there any truth to this claim?

P.S. :
   I know that the implicit assumption made above is that the
Upanishads  are later than the Samhitas.  Granting this "unorthodox"
assumption, would the claim stated above have validity?

Thanks,

-Vivek.