Practice makes perfect

Ravi Mayavaram msr at REDDY20.TAMU.EDU
Sat Mar 14 11:01:58 CST 1998

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Chandran, Nanda (NBC) wrote:

> I think sometime back Jaladhar mentioned that Yoga literally means
> 'practice'. In my personal life, on quite a few occasions, I have been
> amazed at what can be achived by practice - seemingly impossible tasks
> made possible just by sheer practice.

namaskAram

yoga does not mean practice. It means Union or to Yoke with. Depending
on the school of though you adhere to this "union" can be interpreted
differently. It the union of jIvAtaman with the paramAtman. Some yoga
schools will interpret it as the union of kundalini with the
sadAshivam in the sahasrara padmam.

shrI lalita sahasranAmam, praises shrI mAta is a series of names
related to yoga as, yoginI (one who is ever united with parashiva),
yogadA (one who confers the yoga (union with brahman) on HER devotees,
yogyA (one who deserves all kinds of yoga, one who is ever fit for the
bliss of union) and yogAnandA (one who rejoices in the bliss attained
through yoga)

shrI patanjali say that yoga (the union) is attained through the
cessation of turning of thought ( chitta vR^itti nirodaH). shRi
bhagavad gIta describes yoga from different aspects.

Ravi
AUM shrI mAtre namaH