pUja

sadananda sada at ANVIL.NRL.NAVY.MIL
Mon Jul 13 06:38:06 CDT 1998

>sadananda wrote:
>
>> I did not want to get into this topic, since I know nothing about the vedic
>> rituals nor I care to know about them since my mind is not tuned to that
>> type.
>
>For someone not interested in rituals you certainly have lots of
>opinions about them.

The rest of my post actually justifies why the lack of interest too!

I see in this and in the subsequent posts that you have lot of
disagreements with my post.  I will certainly read them and contemplate on
them.  Thanks for your detailed input.

The examples I gave were intended to drive across the point of the
discussion and not intended for extrapulation beyond their intent. Anyway
we both atleast agree that the whole discussion is itself within the realm
of maya.    My understanding of the Geeta and Bhagavaan Shankaraa's texts
obviously differs from yours.  I donot see any further need for my
discussion on this topic otherthan to state that I agree to disagree with
your interpretation of my post.  God bless you.

Hari Om!
Sadananda

> [...]
>>         yat karoshi yadashnaasi yajjuhoshi dadaasi yat|
>>         yat tapasyasi kounteya, tat kurushva madarpaNam||
>>
>> Whatever you do whatever you eat whatever you give and whatever austerities
>> you perform offer that to Me.
>
>He also says that smR^iti and shruti are his direct commands.
>
>> In the final analysis what is offered is the ego and purification of the
>> mind follows.
>>
>> If the ritual is intended for purification of the mind then do the best
>> within the means and with the right frame of mind since mind is more
>> important than anything else - bhaktyaa.  Everything else is secondary.
>
>Not so. As I said, Chitta shuddhi itself is a result of _correct_
>performance of karmas _without_ expectation, not doing whatever one
>pleases "without expectation".
>
>> But in the final analysis even these rituals have limited relevance. Hence
>
>"limited relevance"?!! For anyone who has not attained chitta shuddhi it
>is of great relevance.
>
>> my bias. I want to end with Sankara's shlakas from vivekachuuDaamaNi:
>
>Excellent verses. Unfortunately, they have ABSOLUTELY no relevance to
>this situation. The original question of Ravi was about how to perform
>pUjA, not how to renounce it. This is like saying to a person who is
>hungry, "Tibetan monks do not eat by practice of certain yogic
>disciplines, so it is more convenient to learn this technique and
>renounce eating. Since this can be done, we can also eat arsenic laced
>food!!"
>
>>         paThantu shaastraaNi yajantu devataan,
>>         kurvantu karmaaNi bhajantu devataaH,|
>>         aatmaikya bhodhena vinaa vimuktiH
>>         nasidhyati brahma sataatarepi||
>>
>> and further he says:
>>
>>         na yogena na saakhyena karmaNaa no na vidyayaa
>>         brahmaatmaika bodhena mokshaH sidhyati naanyathaa||
>>
>> I think Vaidya Sundaram has provided the meaning for these slokas for those
>> who are interested. One can perform as many rituals as one wants, but in
>> the final analysis there is no liberation without getting established in
>> the advaitic teaching.
>
>> K. Sadananda
>> Code 6323
>> Naval Research Laboratory
>
>The above verses are supposed to result in the reader renouncing the
>world. Sri Shankara makes it quite clear that he wants his disciples to
>embrace phycical sannyAsa also. Why? Otherwise it will lead to the
>situation where someone will make remarks as given below
>
>1. Renounce karma-s, especially when it takes effort to learn the
>methodologies. Or do them in whatever manner one pleases.
>2. Use shankara's quotes about renunciation of karmas to denounce people
>doing karmas, but when renunciation of family, job etc is called for,
>those statements will be conveniently ignored. Or they will be
>"mentally" renounced.
>
>Height of absurdity.
>
>Many here seem to have minterpreted why "mental renunciation" is
>emphasized more in certain texts like Yoga Vashistha or by Sri Ramana.

K. Sadananda
Code 6323
Naval Research Laboratory
Washington D.C. 20375