Blowing out candles

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Wed Jan 28 17:13:24 CST 1998

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Gregory Goode wrote:

> I've heard that one should not blow out the candles/oil lamps on an altar,
> but extinguish them in some other way.  True?  Why?  I've seen priests
> fanning them with their hands.

Because of the pollution associated with saliva. If one blows out the lamp
with the lips, there is a chance that saliva would get spilled onto the
lamp. So one either fans it out, or snuffs out the light using a flower.
The same reasoning holds for incense sticks, camphor etc.

This is the same reason why orthoprax Hindus look askance at blowing out
candles on a birthday cake, and at licking the gum on a stamp/envelope.
Although my grandmother would bemoan my deficient orthopraxy in many
respects, I can't bring myself to lick stamps or envelopes. My American
friends stare at me, when I go to the water-fountain for this purpose!

Vidyasankar