Information request - References to Indian Astronomy

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu Jan 22 09:26:08 CST 1998

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, sadananda wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> This post may not be relavent directly to advaita or to the current topics
>
> A friend of mine is seeking information about the chronology of the Indian
> thought developement of the Astronomy including the mapping of the stars
> and establishment of time scales etc.  Any authentic references related to
> these are welcome.  Particularly when and in what form the Indian thought
> development of the astronomy occurred and in what form it was documented -
> either in Vedas or Vedangaas and/.or subsequent tests with possible dates
> and references.
>
> Any help in this? Thanks - please reply to my e-mail address.
>
> Hari Om!
> Sadananda

Namaste.

Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi published a compilation
"A Concise History of Science in India" with D.M. Bose as Chief Editor
(and S.N. Sen and B.V. Subbarayappa as Editors). In that, there is a
chapter on Astronomy by S.N. Sen which traces the knowledge of astronomy
to the Vedic times, with very liberal references to various upanishhadic
and vedic statements. It is an authoritative study. It traces the
nakshatra system, lunar zodiac, the vedic calendars and vedanga jyotishha,
ecliptic and the eclipses among other things. I use part of this material
in the course I give on astronomy. This is an excellent reference for
anyone interested in vedic astronomy. The LOC Number for this book is
Q 127 I4B58 1971.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.