Rig Veda

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Fri Jan 9 15:09:05 CST 1998

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Chandran, Nanda (NBC) wrote:

> I'm not sure whether I asked this on the list before :
>
> Can somebody suggest a good translation of the Rig Veda?

There are some translations of the Rig Veda, but most of them are more
idiosyncratic than 'good'. Wendy Doniger O'Flaherty has a paperback
edition of selected verses, in a Penguin edition, which owes much to
Freudian psychoanalysis. Translations by other Indologists are not meant
for a general audience. They worry about important (but boring to most
people, even those looking for spiritual wisdom) issues like variant
readings in manuscripts, variations in the oral transmission traditions,
geographical distributions of such variations, linguistic and historical
issues involved in transmission. etc. Translations by Indian authors are
usually meant to expound the philosophies of their translators. All in
all, it would be better not to rely on translations, if you can manage it.

Vidyasankar