Consciousness

Chandran, Nanda (NBC) Nanda.Chandran at NBC.COM
Mon Jan 5 08:13:19 CST 1998

Sadananda, thanks a lot for your detailed response. It made a lot of sense
except on the subject of the consciousness that you often referred to.

It would be an understatement to say that I'm confused! Yesterday I was
reading Swami Satchidananda's translation on Patanjala Yoga Sutras and in
that he quotes an ancient Sanskrit verse, "As the mind, so the man; the
concept of bondage and liberation exist in the mind only"! He also explains
that since we're conscious of the operations of the mind, we cannot be the
mind itself. But isn't this consciousness the Ahamkara or the Ego, which in
some texts is referred to as part of the mind itself?

I think we can totally negate the body. So that leaves the mind (manas), the
intellect (buddhi) and the "I" consciousness (ahamkara). Can somebody
explain the relation of these three to the Self?

        Because e-mail can be altered electronically,
        the integrity of this communication cannot be guaranteed.