credibility - leading a ethical life

Chandran, Nanda (NBC) Nanda.Chandran at NBC.COM
Wed Feb 25 16:05:49 CST 1998

I read G Murthy's post with great interest.

But I don't agree that one who preserves the word is no nearer to the
truth than a common criminal. What's it that we seek? Truth. When one
goes all lengths to preserve his word, he's indirectly preserving the
truth. This act also indirectly affects one's mind, helps shape his
morals and his conscience etc. If we're unable to understand the lower
truths, how can we ever hope to understand the highest? I personally
don't believe that anybody, however intelligent, can attain jnana just
by reading metaphysical works. As Shankara and Gaudapada state in the
introductions of their works, the requisites of the aspirant : pure of
mind, devoid of ego, full control of the senses. This can be achieved
bit by bit, with us exerting vigilance on our actions in our everyday
life. For if one doesn't have these requisite qualities, he will never
be able to completely understand and implement the teachings in his
life.

S.Radhakrishnan in Dhammapada says, Buddha considered the law of Dharma
as God and insight into it as Enlightment. Lately I've realized that I
would gladly trade whatever little intellect I have for natural goodness
of heart.

        Because e-mail can be altered electronically,
        the integrity of this communication cannot be guaranteed.