About Appaya Dikshita

Sat Feb 21 21:35:42 CST 1998

Like all proper teachers Appaya Dikshit believed in teaching the
appropriate thing to the appropriate person instead of indiscriminately
letting anyone do as they pleased.  And as Bhakti to saguna Ishwar is
appropriate for most people, it is the worship of Shiva Bhagawan he
recommended to them.  And as you point out, Vishnu Bhagawan too--despite
his personal feelings, he didn't see any difference between the two.  In
fact in his work ratnatrayapariksha ("An examination of the three jewels")
he shows that there is no difference between Shiva Bhagawan, Vishnu
Bhagawan, and Mataji.  Nevertheless, as an Advaita Vedantin, he believed
that Brahman is nirguna.