Frequently Asked Questions

Ravisankar Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Sun Dec 6 14:03:30 CST 1998

                ADVAITA-L FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

FAQ 1: What are the List policies?

FAQ 2: Where are the archives of the list?
       How can I access them ?

FAQ 3: Is there a FAQ on advaita-vedAnta?

FAQ 4: How do I find out what are my present options?

FAQ 5: How do I change my status to DIGEST form and viceversa?

FAQ 6: How do I unsubscribe from the list?

FAQ 7: How do I temporarily stop mail from Advaita-L

FAQ 8: How do I get more help?

FAQ 9: Removal from Advaita-l due to mail delivery errors

FAQ 10: No HTML and binary files

FAQ 11: Additional information

FAQ 1: What are the List policies?

1) Advaita-L is a open, unmoderated list to discuss advaita-vedanta as
taught by shrI shankara. By advaita-vedanta, the tradition established
by shrI shankara and the maThas created to is referred.

2) Even though the major emphasis is on advaita-vedanta taught by shrI
shankara, topics related advaita-vedanta are welcome. Purpose of other
related articles should be to aid the understanding of advaita-vedanta.

3) Articles promoting bhakti within the framework of vedAnta are most
welcome.  The articles should be acceptable to the framework of
advaita-vedanta.  Even though advaita-vedanta holds that liberation
is through AtmajnAnam, bhakti is always emphasized.

4) Items 2 and 3 are vague, as the maintainer of the List, I reserve
the right on acceptability of articles. In the case the articles are
unacceptable, it will be informed in private and resolved in private.

5) Discussion of nAstika traditions and their philosophies are not
allowed. By nAstika traditions, I mean traditions like buddhism and
jainism. But scholarly articles comparing these traditions with
advaita-vedanta will be accepted. These articles should be sent to
the list manager (msr at tamu.edu) and not to the list.

6) Posters should not be disrespectful to towards saints and sages of
other traditions, and should show respect towards each other as well.
Avoid rude language. Repeated offensive postings will force me to set the
member's state to NOPOST. That will remove the privilege of directly
posting to the list and the such members should send their post to me
instead.

7) As the maintainer of this list, I reserve the final word on
critical issues like acceptablity of the articles and others
But I will not be autocratic, I will discuss the matter in private
with  knoweldgeable members of the list.  I will be open to
suggestions.

FAQ 2: Where are the archives of the list? How can I access them

There are two ways to access the archives. Easiest way is to use the
WWW interface. To do that point your Web browser to
http://listserv.tamu.edu/archives/advaita-l.html
This interface is very nice and has good search engine.

The second method is to use the GET command. This method is very
useful when you want download the messages say for a month and print
them. For this send a mail to listserv at listserv.tamu.edu and in the
body of the message

INDEX ADVAITA-L

As a response to this LISTSERV will return you the index of all the
files. The archives is in weekly format. Say I want to get the file
LOG9605C ( 3rd week of 5th month of 1996). Then send a mail to
listserv at listserv.tamu.edu with the body of the message containing

GET ADVAITA-L LOG9605C

FAQ 3: Is there a FAQ on advaita-vedAnta?
  There is an excellent FAQ on advaita-vedAnta authored by shrI
Vidyasankar Sundaresan. You can access the FAQ from

http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~vidya/advaita/ad_faq.html
or
http://www.erols.com/ramakris/advaita/ad_faq.html

FAQ 4: How do I find out what are my present options?
All such requests should be sent to the
listserv at listserv.tamu.edu and not to the list itself.

To find out what your options are
send a mail to listserv at listserv.tamu.edu with body of the message
containing the following command.

QUERY ADVAITA-L

FAQ 5: How do I change my status to DIGEST form and viceversa?

All such "changing options" request should be sent to the
listserv at listserv.tamu.edu and not to the list itself.
To change to digest mode, please send a mail to
listserv at listserv.tamu.edu with body of the message containing

SET ADVAITA-L  DIGEST

To revert back to regular form, send a mail to
listserv at listserv.tamu.edu with body of the message containing

SET ADVAITA-L NODIGEST

Send a mail to listserv at listserv.tamu.edu  with
body of the message containing

SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L

FAQ 7: How do I temporarily stop mail from Advaita-L

Send a mail to listserv at listserv.tamu.edu  with
body of the message containing

SET ADVAITA-L NOMAIL

This is a very good option to stop the mail temporarily when you go
out of town, etc. When you are back, send a mail again to
listserv at listserv.tamu.edu with body of the message containing

SET ADVAITA-L MAIL

FAQ 8: How do I get more help?

Easiest way is send a mail to me (msr at isc.tamu.edu)

Or you can read a good manual from
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/user/user.html

Or you can send a mail to
listserv at listserv.tamu.edu
with body of the message containing  the command

HELP

FAQ 9: Removal from Advaita-l due to mail delivery errors

The way the LIST has be set up is, if there are mail delivery
problems to your address, after the tolerance level, the List
Server software will automatically delete your name. The
tolerance level is: error for 40 consecutive messages or 4 days,
whichever happens first.

In case you are not receiving any mail for few days, please check
the Archive Web site. If the WWW site shows messages on those
days, please contact me, I will add you back to the list. This
has happened once or twice in the past.

FAQ 10: No HTML and binary files

Archives at present cannot handle HTML formatted messages and binary files
like gif/jpeg etc. Please send only plain text messages to the list.

FAQ 11:  Additional information

This list is supported by Texas A & M Listserv, whose pages can be
accessed from http://listserv.tamu.edu/
Support provided by the ListServ is gratefully acknowledged.

[For any errors/comments please send a personal mail to me. Do
not reply to the List itself]