Consciousness

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 31 17:51:39 CDT 1998

The word "Consciousness" is a much used term in discussions on Advaita
Vedanta. It's generally said that when the mind and it's adjuncts are
supressed all that's left is pure consciousness. Further sometimes even
Brahman is described in terms of consciousness. Personally I think the
word is very misleading and not quite the way to describe the state
beyond. Let me explain.

Consciousness in it's elementary sense involves two entities - a subject
and an object. We're conscious of somebody behind us. We are conscious
of the tree before us.  So the We or the I is the subject, which is
conscious of an object that is somebody behind or the tree. Even when we
meditate, most people meditate on something - an ishta deivata or some
object like the flame of a candle etc Here, our mind or even better We
are the subject and the object of meditation is the object. So
definitely there's consciousness involved.

Vasubandhu in his Trimsatika states that the Ego, mind, consciousness
and the intellect are but words referring to the same entity. I
wholeheartedly agree. When I initially tried meditating, in a few weeks
I realized something - the mind has to dwell on something. When we try
not to think ie to go beyond the mind, the fun begins. Initially there's
the thought not to have any thought! When we close our eyes, the eyes
still see the eyelids or the play of light like a kaleidoscope and
that's the object of our mind. With more practice when we concentrate to
still the mind, the object is the tightening feeling on our forehead.
Finally when you are able to just sit still without any thought, even
then it's for only a few seconds, before we're engulfed in thought waves
again. Lately I've realized the best way is to take a few deep breaths
and relax! Yes, it works and atleast for a few seconds I'm able to
remain without any thoughts. IN THIS STATE THERE'S NO OBJECT. Strictly
speaking there's no subject either (for even the consciousness of 'I' is
ultimately a thought), but then in an explanation without referring to
this as a subject there's a risk of slipping into absurdity. So here we
can say there's only the subject without any individuality and it's
DEFINITELY NOT CONSCIOUSNESS. It's just being or even better just
existing.