Karma and Sanyaasa

Srinivas Sista sista at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Sat Aug 1 12:36:09 CDT 1998

<<  If I am wrong prove it to me that for self-realization
 bhoutika sanyaasa is essential. >>

The dichotomy of "maanasika sanyaasa" and "bhoutika sanyaasa" is very
artificial and concocted. This dichotomy certainly leads to delusion and
wide spread social disharmony.

A family by definition is a separative structure. It has inherent in it
discriminative policies. It gets priority over the rest of the world. I feed
my wife and children and STORE for future, even though millions of people and
children are starving. I accumulate property in order to ensure security for
family knowing fully well that accumulation at one point is deprivation
somewhere else.

How many of the mentally renounced remain unaffected if a
stranger walks into his/her house, eats the food there and sleeps in the
couch? Worse, if he/she wants to sleep with his/her spouse? Wants to take
away the car for his use. "I want to keep them for the sake of my family and
not for me" argument doesn't hold water. How many of the charity organizations
that run for the sake of starving children receive well thought appropriate
contributions?(as against token contributions to silence the conscience)
How come my children have food ensured for the next 20 years while millions
of the others don't have even a morsel to eat now? Shall I invoke Karma,
prArabDa? Similarly for setting up educational institutions for poor children.
We don't mind spending $20,000 to $30,000 per year to put our children
through "GOOD" schools. Isn't that exclusive and partial treatment? Where
is "Sama Drishti" in this? One cannot be mentally renounced and still gobble
up resources channeling them exclusively to a select group!

Similar examples can be given about the exclusive treatment of ones parents as
against other old people in the world. How about retirement plans, savings
accounts, stock investments? (I am not going into the fact that we kill animals
and insects that wander into our food storage innocently in search of food,
or into our houses for shelter from extremes of weather). If one has renounced,
one doesn't have any attachment. If one doesn't have attachment, there is no
question of accumulation and exclusive treatment. In short, is one prepared to
wake up tomorrow morning and be perfectly allright if the family, property, job,
name everything is gone leaving him/her a nobody?

And if you are speaking of SELF-REALIZATION for which renunciation is only a
very small preliminary step, Sir, I cannot say anything further.

(general comments)
There seems to be a growing notion that "self-enquiry"(god knows how each
person defines it to himself) is all that is necessary and it can be done
wherever and whenever one pleases. If one isn't free completely of the
material and mental accumulations, the so called "self-enquiry" only leads
to disastrous conclusions.

regards,
Srinivas Sista.