Shankara Jayanti

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 30 10:10:03 CDT 1998

  Remembering Shankara BhagavatpAda on the occasion of Shankara
  Jayanti, I am only able to offer him verses that other teachers
  in his tradition have composed in his honor.

   namastasmai bhagavate shankarAchAryarUpiNe |
   yena vedAntavidyeyamuddhR^itA vedasAgarAt.h ||

   Bow to that God in the form of ShankarAchArya, by whom was
   the VedAnta knowledge brought out from the ocean of the Vedas.

     (VidyAraNya's aparoxAnubhUtidIpikA )

   bhagavatpAdapAdAbjapAMsavaH santu santataM |
   apArAsArasaMsArasAgarottArasetavaH         ||

    May the dust of the lotus feet of Shankara BhagavatpAda be
   available to me always to form a bridge across the ocean of
   samsAra which is without any real essence and yet seems to
   be limitless.
             (ChitsukhAchArya's tribute to Shankara)

    samsArasarpaparidaShTavinaShTadR^iShTeh sanjIvanAya kR^ipayA
     parayopapannaM |
    brahmAvabodhaparamauShadhamudvahantaM taM SankaraM parataraM
     bhiShajaM namAmi   ||

    I bow to the most compassionate SankarAcArya who is like an
    excellent physician administering the best medicine of knowledge
    of Brahman to revive the vision of those who have lost it after
    being bitten by the serpent called samsAra.

                          (Anandagiri's commentary on the Haristuti)

 Anand