the Nature of realization

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Sun Apr 26 20:21:05 CDT 1998

> I would like to ask a question that sounds a little stupid even to me,
> but that I don't quite see the answer for never the less. I am in the
> grips of Ramana's teaching that our sense of awareness or I-am already
> is the Self, and that all that is needed is to remove our identification
> of the Self with the non-self. Would it not be possible for me or anyone
> at all, at least in principle, to abandon all attachments and false
> identifications of an individual and limiting nature? Let's say for the
> sake of discussion that I do it. What would be different? I would still
> perceive the world through my physical senses, I would still have the
> sense of touch through 'my' body and no other, and so on. My feelings
> and reactions would be changed based on my new orientation, of course.
>
> [...]

> But other than that, what would suddenly be dramatically different? And
> if nothing would be all that different, then is realization more just a
> change of perspective and attitude than an actual experience? If so,
> then I would think this fact might change the way we think about it.
>
> Robert.

Namaste.

In addition to the many points made by Shri Sadananda, I like to add
the following.

Lack of second-guessing: while previously there is a doubt whether a
right decision is made ("I should have done the other way" feeling),
such feeling would no longer be there. The feeling "Everything is
unfolding the way it should" is the only feeling left. There is no
scope of second-guessing at all. Hence, the person will be
ever-content. Shri ShankarAchArya expresses this in a more
beautiful way in Viveka ChuDAmaNi (verse  543):

Nirdhano'pi sadA tushhTo'py  asahAyo mahAbalah
nityatr^pto'py abhunjAno'py asamah samadarshanah

Ever satisfied, though without riches; infinitely strong, though
without help; ever content, though not enjoying sense pleasures;
and without an equal, but seeing equality everywhere (such is a
person of Self-realization).

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.