Jnana and Bhakti

Chandran, Nanda (NBC) Nanda.Chandran at NBC.COM
Wed Apr 22 14:18:53 CDT 1998

On the subject of the three paths, bhakthi, karma and jnana, Charles
Wikner once said something which made a lot of sense to me. He said
something to the effect that :

Man is made up of three charecteristics : emotional, physical and
intellectual. Generally in a man, one of these is dominant over the
other two. So the appeal of one of the three paths is with respect to
one's charecteristics. Forcing a rational person along the lines of
bhakthi (faith and belief) will only serve to increase disillusionment
resulting in him dropping out of the pursuit altogether!

Again in Advaitam where the subject and the object are one, Sadananda's
explanation where he points out Shankara's definition that Bhakti is
meditating on one's Self makes sense. But it may be that it's easier to
meditate on an Ishta Devata (personal God) than on One's Self. That
means a personal God only serves the purpose of Upasana, rather than
anything literal. But along the road one must evolve towards meditating
on the Self, which alone can lead to liberation (atleast from the
standpoint of Advaitam).

        Because e-mail can be altered electronically,
        the integrity of this communication cannot be guaranteed.