karma

Vivek Anand Ganesan v_ganesan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 15 16:41:06 CDT 1998

Namashkar,
   I thank everyone who answered my previous question.   After reading
the posts, I would like to clarify my doubts regarding karma.

   The most common meaning attributed to "karma" is that of action.
But, what action?  In Shruti, it seems to be linked to "action related
to performing the prescribed rites and rituals".  On the other hand,
in Smriti it is considered to be "dispassionate action" i.e. "karma
yoga".  The advaitic tradition also mentions other karmas like
"Nishkamya karma".  Also, karma is considered to be the bond that
holds one to samsara.  In the last sense, it is not something to be
accrued.  ( So, it is bad, right?)

   I kindly request an explanation of the concept of karma and its
different connotations and their contexts.  What is the role of karma
within Advaita?

Thanks in advance,

-Vivek.