ADMIN : Response

Wed Apr 8 12:33:32 CDT 1998

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Ravi Mayavaram wrote:

> About the debates issue, I am confused. I agree that  it will aid
> learning. But I wonder, how many here know enough to debate?

If noone tries than none will ever know.  If we all try maybe we all will.
It's a hard road.  Some will run and some will stumble along but at least
they will be moving in the right direction.  All that needs to be done is
to make sure people don't try and take shortcuts that lead to dead ends.

> Friendly
> discussion on advaita vedanta will  definitely serve the purpose.

Discussion has been strong but rarely erupted into unfriendliness.

> This LIST is not for converting any atheist, buddhist, Jain or a
> folower of any other tradition to advaita-vedanta. This for like
> minded people, who want to learn advaita-vedanta as taught by shrI
> shankara and who already have desire to do so.

But people who are sure they are doing things have doubts from time to
time.  That's basic human psychology.  To proceed further those doubts
need to be removed and that is rarely an instantaneous process.  One must
be careful not to throw out the baby with the bath water.

> If I sound harsh, I am sorry. I respect each and every one of you, but
> my stance on this issue is based on my real purpose with which this
> LIST was started.

It is precisely in support of your goals I say this.