1 does not equal 0.(was, (nibbana) = (Nirguna Brahman) ?)

Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam pkanagar at RSL.UKANS.EDU
Mon Sep 29 17:10:59 CDT 1997

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> As far as I know The Buddhist don't admit to a state of Being.  That's why
> they refer to the final state as Nirvana or "snuffing out."  it is
> Nothing.  This is a lot different.

Hari Om!

In Sri Swami Sivanandaji's essay on Buddhism, he says, "The word 'Nirvana'
literally means 'going out'. It signifies a spiritual experience full of
peace and bliss, which is characterized by the 'going out' from the heart
of the three fires of lust, ill-will and dullness.  Nirvana is not utter
annihilation. Nirvana is total extinction of all that is base in us."

The Buddhist scholars may not agree with this but I just thought I will
share Swamiji's viewpoint with the seekers on this list.

Om Shanti!

Pannir

  Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam
  E-mail: pkanagar at rsl.ukans.edu
  Homepage: http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/
  Support the International Campaign to Ban Landmines
  http://www.vvaf..org/landmine/casualties.html