Autobiography of a Yogi

Nanda Kumar nkumar at OPPENHEIMERFUNDS.COM
Mon Sep 29 10:01:58 CDT 1997

I've been reading the autobiography of a yogi by Paramahansa
Yogananda for the past few weeks. The books is very endearing,
quite informative, but at times beyond me when he speaks of cosmic
concepts. When one reads the book there's no doubt that Paramahansa
reveres Adi Shankara, for he doesn't miss a chance to eulogise him,
calling him 'India's greatest philosopher', 'the peerless Monist' etc. But
yesteday I read a chapter, where Paramahansa talks of a supreme being
called 'Babaji', who is supposed to have initiated both Shankara and his
guru Govinda Jati in the Kriya Yoga techinque. Is there any historical
reference or proof to this claim?

But again, the books is a pleasure to read, especially the footnotes
which are so full of information.