OBSERVATIONS

Chelluri at AOL.COM Chelluri at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 28 14:37:22 CDT 1997

                                                 OM
Namaste!

I would like to share my observations on two aspects of 3 Great Saints with
the scholars in this list with your permission.

GAUTAMA BUDDHA - ADI SHANKARA - RAMANA MAHARISHI

All we know about these 3 Saints is from the portraits and commentaries on
their works by other scholars.
 My knowledge is very limited and I know my limitations.  So I have to depend
on commentaries written by other scholars to learn about the original
teachings.  It is human nature to inject personal views to mask the teachings
that does not agree with the commentetors views.  After reading the
commentaries, we believe that is wahat the teacher intended for his sishyas.
 Taking the commentators writings as authority we get into arguments to
establish who is great.
Let's strive to be original.  Read the originl text and provide your esteemed
views so people like me understand.  If you dont like Gautama, Shankara or
Rajneesh, just politely disagree with their teachings.

PORTRAITS:  Bhagwan Ramana Maharishi lived in modern times. His portraits I
believe are authentic.  Ramana Maharishi does not wear Rudrakashas or
Vibhuti.  He was a simple man.  If you look deep into the portrait you see
Paramatma and evetually you will become one with.   To do this one need not
have bhakti or any of those traits.   Even simple curiosity will take you to
those heights of heaven.

Sri Adi Shankara (My Guru) does wear Vibhuti at several places of his body
and wears plenty of Rudraksha malas.  On top everything he is shown as
sitting on a Tiger skin.

Gautama Buddha:  Portraits of Gautama I have seen show him as sitting in
padmasana.  His countenance appears to me as divine.

I believe all these 3 and others too agree that "AHIMSO PARAMODHARMAH'
I dont know whether Adi Shankara sat on a Tiger skin.  If everybody wants to
sit on a Tiger skin with the misconception that it will give them
enlightment, you can imagine what will happen to Tigers in this world.
Lord Krishna said "People Do Imitate".  God bless the tigers.

Like I said in the begining I am not a scholar.  I try to practice the
following teachings which I believe are Original.

Gautama:   Dharmamchara . Sangham sharanam Gacchami
Shankara:  Aham Brahmasmi
Ramana:    Inquire "WHO AM I"

These are my observations.    I may or may not be right.  Eitherway it does
not matter.

Shubham                                                      Nageswar