Buddhism and Self

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Fri Sep 26 18:26:00 CDT 1997

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997 anand_hudli at BMC.BOEHRINGER-MANNHEIM.COM wrote:

>    It is relatively easy to find a qualified guru in India, but not so in
>    the West. I know of one person, Dr. Yegnasubramanian in NY/New Jersey who
>    conducts Vedic training there. He may also be teaching the upanishads.

I'm not sure Dr. Yegnasubramanian teaches the upanishads, but one can
clarify directly by writing to him at <yegnam at lucent.com>.

Two names I can think of in the US are Swami Dayananda Sarasvati of the
Arsha Vidya Gurukulam, Pennsylvania, (see http://www.epix.net/~arsha) and
Swami Saccidananda of Yogaville, Virgina. Both are dasanami monks from the
Sankaran tradition. I'm not aware if they directly start teaching the
upanishads, but they obviously have planned different courses of study for
people with different aspirations. The monks of the Ramakrishna Mission
also trace their guru-parampara to the Sankaran lineage (through Tota
Puri, one of Ramakrishna's gurus), but they are quite independent of the
traditional monasteries and organizations.

Vidyasankar