RUDRAKSHAS

Thu Sep 25 23:04:28 CDT 1997

On Sun, 7 Sep 1997 Chelluri at AOL.COM wrote:

>                                               OM
> NAMASTE!
>
> Begining from Adishankara all shaivas and shaktas wear Rudrakshas and apply
> vibhudi at most parts of the body.  Some wear more of these Rudrakshamala
> malas than others starting from top of the head.    What is the significance?
> Can anybody comment on vibhidi and rudrakshas.

It's much older than Shankaracharya.  According to our shastras All
Brahmans should wear Rudrakshamala.  (Even some Vaishnava authorities
agree about this.)  They should also wear tilak every day though in
Gujarat we only wear tripundra in Shravana and on utsavas.  Other castes
can wear vibhuti and rudraksha mala if they believe in Shiva or Shakti.

> I thought Vaishnavas are 'ALANKARA PRIYULU"  Shaivas and Saktas are no less!
>
> In this context I like to bring in Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharishi.  I have not
> seen him personally.  I heard about him from my father and saw several photos
> and spent sometime at Ramanaashram.  Above "Alankarana" is conspicuously
> absent on Sri Ramana's person.
>
> Are Rudrakshas really necessary OR is it  one form of identity to establish I
> am.

For vairagis it is not required though they often do out of love of God.
For grhasthas it is required by the shastras.

I got engaged! See the pictures ==> http://www.braincells.com/jaldhar/sagpan