Necessity of substratum etc

egodust egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Sat Sep 13 13:01:11 CDT 1997

Ramakrishnan wrote:
> ____________________
>
> About sacred ash ego dust wrote:
>
> >Belief in *anything* can result in a transformation.
>
> Am I the only one who is amazed at this kind of pointless posts or are
> there other people also? With enough belief icy water can also be used
> to heat the body. So I suppose if you come to Indiana when it is -20F
> you'll jump into the icy river nearby? Or if you want to make a
> pradakshina of the Arunachala hill, you will instead go to South pole
> and circumabulate a glacier instead? After all with enough belief they
> are the same!
>
> Certain things have properties inherent in them. Fire heats, water
> cools. One can go through all kinds of yogic practices and achieve the
> opposite effect is desired. It is utterly pointless and thoroughly
> stupid to do do. Sacred ash purifies and that is it's property. Ribhu
> Gita says so, Ramana Maharshi says so. RM set an example to disciples by
> wearing sacred ash every day! Ribhu Gita says that sacred ash _alone_ is
> sufficient. All of us know that if enough belief is present sacred ash
> may not be necessary.
>
> There is no need to make some Zen master like statements every time when
> people explain simple things. If you feel you are beyond all this it
> would be wise to keep silent. Even RM asked his disciples to
> circumabulate the hill and not some arbitrary stone nearby. With enough
> belief both are definitely the same. But for mere mortals like us the
> inherent power of sacred ash or the Arunachala hill, etc is very useful.

OK, I'm not afraid of you...I'll fight you anywhere, anytime!  hahaha!

Seriously, you haven't disproved what I said, if anything you indirectly
supported it.

Also, if you're so settled upon the belief that you or anyone else is a
'mortal,' you're adhering to a pretense.  Self-enquiry should shatter this
myth.  If it doesn't, it's not being honestly applied.  The existence of
the separative jiva thrives as long as it's left uninvestigated.

Who or what is the essence of Ramakrishnan?  or "egodust'?  or anyone?

Namaste.

"There are no answers
       because
there are no questions."