The point

Govind Rengarajan govind at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Wed Oct 29 12:10:10 CST 1997

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Greg Goode wrote:

> Agree about no known path.  But disagree about earning it.  It (jnaana or
> realization) is no phenomenal action, object or state.  So it can't be the
> result of an action, object or state.  It's actually closer to the
> disappearance of such.  Sadhana and sruti are for the apparent result of
> purifying the mind, which can be called a state.  But wouldn't you agree
> that if we undertake Sadhana with the expectation of earning realization,
> this very expectation will prevent realization?  Gita II.47 states:

This is an interesting point that touches on several issues that are
being discussed now.

This past summer, whenever I visited the venkatEshwarA temple
(belonging to Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam) in T.Nagar, Madras, I
always noticed several people (simple folks from all walks of life I am
sure) pray and look at the Lord longingly. If I had asked them what
they were praying for, some might have said for secular benefits,
but a few others would have simply said deliverance from this life.
If you ask them further what do they mean by deliverance, well, they
might be stumped for a moment, but then they might tell you "He
knows".

This is the point. It does not matter who we actually are, but
what matters is that we do not know who we are. We really have just
two choices. Either introspect earnestly who we are, as Ramana said,
without forming any notions of being brahman, etc (it (being
brahman) is actually irrelevant for one's sadhana, IMO), or simply
surrender (learn to) to God with full uncontaminated faith.
Interestingly, both these *approaches* in themselves do not involve
or need any a priori notion of one's true nature.

This also puts certain things in perspective between the
paths proposed by advaitic schools and vishishhTAdvaitic schools.
While the former stresses on finding one's true self, the latter
stresses on unconditional surrender to nArAyanA. Both work towards
annhilating one's ego.

As Jaldhar said in another mail, saying "Jai Ambe" (honestly) one
would definitely be better off. Reading scriptures (philosophical)
and discussions pertaining to them can offer one a hand as and when
needed. But one might do well to remember that at times the
proferred hand can be used by the ego also.

govind rengarajan