YUGA Calculation

Srinivas Prasad prasad at NSRC.NUS.SG
Wed Oct 1 20:19:26 CDT 1997

From:         jai at mantra.com (Dr. Jai Maharaj)

As far as the length and compostition of the ages is concerned, I
have created the following compilation based on the verses in the
ancient Soory(a) Siddhant(a), or "Sun Principles":

% % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % %
%           COMPOSITION OF A CHATURYUG (Quadruple) AGE          %
%         From the same source as the principle of Karm:        %
%                                                               %
%                          Divine Years    Solar Years          %
%                                                               %
%                     Dawn       400          144,000           %
%                 Krt  Yug     4,000        1,440,000           %
%                 Twilight       400 _____    144,000 _________ %
%      Total Krt Yug Duration        4,800            1,728,000 %
%                                                               %
%                     Dawn       300          108,000           %
%                 Tret Yug     3,000        1,080,000           %
%                 Twilight       300 _____    108,000 _________ %
%     Total Tret Yug Duration        3,600            1,296,000 %
%                                                               %
%                     Dawn       200           72,000           %
%               Dwapar Yug     2,000          720,000           %
%                 Twilight       200 _____     72,000   _______ %
%  Total Dwapar Yug  Duration        2,400              864,000 %
%                                                               %
%                     Dawn       100           36,000           %
%                 Kali Yug     1,000          360,000           %
%                 Twilight       100 _____     36,000   _______ %
%      Total Kali Yug Duration       1,200              432,000 %
%                                   ======            ========= %
%  Total Duration of a Chaturyug    12,000            4,320,000 %
%       Further,  1 Manvantar  = 71 Chatryug + 1 Krt Yug        %
%                              = (71 x 4320000) + 1728000       %
%                              = 308,448,000 Solar Years        %
%           And,                                                %
%                      1 Kalp  = 14 Manvantar + 1 Krt Yug       %
%                              = (14 x 308448000) + 1728000     %
%                              = 4,320,000,000 Solar Years      %