Gaudapada's Karika

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Tue May 27 11:29:37 CDT 1997

GK: gauDapAda kArikA

Vidyasankar wrote:

>The difference between the two states is that in the waking state there is
>a large degree of correspondence in the world perceived by two observers,

As I mentioned in my reply to Allan's mail, the same correspondence is found in
the dream state also. The comparisons go this way:

a. correspondence between my physical world and Allan's.
b. correspondence between my dream world and the world as per an entity in my
   dream.

Comparing my dream world (as I see it from my waking state) and Allan's dream
world (which he relates to me in my waking state) have the following flaws:

1. the comparison is obviously not similar as I have shown in points (a) and
   (b) above.
2. assuming there are multiple jIva-s, which _cannot_ be assumed a-priori. By
   following the analysis in the GK, it can be shown that the existence of
   multiple jIva-s cannot be logically proved. In fact the exact opposite
   conclusion is reached.
3. assuming that there is an objective reality, which is not apriori known.

>which is why this state of the Atman is called viSva (meaning universal)
>in the upanishad.

According to shrI sha.nkara the name vaishvAnara has the following two
interpretations:

1. vaishvAnara is the same as vishvAnara, and he is so called because he leads
   all the creatures in the world to their enjoyment.
2. vaishvAnara means that he is the soul of all creatures in the world.

Ramakrishnan.