Gaudapada's Karika

Allan Curry un824 at FREENET.VICTORIA.BC.CA
Fri May 23 12:34:53 CDT 1997

Namaste

I am reading Gaudapada's Mandukya Upanishad Karika with commentary by
Shankara. It points out that the truth of Advaita Vedanta does not merely
depend on scriptural authority but can also be established by reason alone.
Part of the argument that follows says that the apparent world can be known
to be unreal for two reasons:

1. because it is perceived
2. because it changes

Why is reality equated with changelessness?  Why can't the world be a
sequence of real but extremely fleeting occasions which follow each other
in a meaningful way?

If perception and change can be depended on as a proof of the unreality of
the world, how can we avoid the inference that perception and change
themselves must be real?  If we do accept the reality of perception and
change do we therefore become "qualified non-dualists" in the process?

-Allan Curry

P.S.

It seems almost everyone on this list is an engineer of some kind and
probably have a lot of experience wrestling with logic problems. I hope my
questions are at least coherent and interesting enough for you to comment
on...