Unreality of the world: a further analogy

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Thu Jun 19 20:26:06 CDT 1997

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Allan Curry wrote:

[..]

> it is not clear to me
> why this "state" should be interpreted to be more ontologically basic than
> any other. It does seem profoundly peaceful, joyously complete, and
> perfectly simple, but so what? Why should I assume it is the ontological
> foundation of the universe rather than a very enjoyable mode of brain
> function?  It may be either I suppose or even some other possibility.

In this connection, read "The Ochre Robe," an autobiography of Sri
Agehananda Bharati (an Austrian who became a sannyasi in the advaita
tradition), where he recounts a conversation he had in the 1960's, with
Swami Bharati Krishna Tirtha, the then Sankaracharya of Puri Govardhana
Matha.

Vidyasankar