Unreality of the world: a further analogy

Cameron Reilly cjreilly at OZEMAIL.COM.AU
Tue Jun 17 18:14:38 CDT 1997

Allan Curry wrote:

>If illusory is equated with impermanence then I would find it difficult to
>argue that the world is not illusory. If illusory refers to the fact that
>our impression of the world is created by our minds, again I agree our
>representation of the world is fabricated. To some, the "illusory nature of
>the world" implies the non-existence of any extra-mental source of data
>which go into the making of our representation of the world. This is a
>much more difficult case to make and one that I am not convinced of.

>I am a part of the world you say is illusory. Do you believe that I am not
>*really* asking you this question and you are merely imagining that I do?
>If an illusory being *can* question you then in what sense do you hold
>them to be illusory?

>with *real* regard,

>-Allan Curry

I think, Allan, that the question needs to be asked:

When you ask "Do you believe that I am not *really* asking you this
 question....", what is this "I" that you are referring to?
The answer to this question may reveal why the universe is held to be
 'illusory'.

Regards,

Cameron Reilly