Still Confusion regarding Shankara’s co

Mon Jan 27 23:47:21 CST 1997

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Cameron Reilly wrote:

> Inferior? Are you saying that advaita recognises one 'mental concept' to be
> of a higher order than another 'mental concept'?

Certainly.  A pot is far more real than a three sided square isn't it?

A basic misunderstanding people seem to have is the idea that in Advaita
the world is not real.  Actually we say it is real but misunderstood.

> Certainly the word 'advaita' itself means 'non-duality', does it not? Not
> two.

It is the jiva and Brahman which are not two.  I  don't see why what we're
talking about should affect that in any way.

> This inability to see beyond the pairs of opposites is due to a fixation
> with dualism. The 'one-ness' of things must first be apperceived before the
> words of the Masters will become clear.

The words of the masters are clear.  The problem is a lot of people don't
bother to read them.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas [jaldhar at braincells.com]   And the men .-_|\ who hold
Consolidated Braincells Inc.                          /     \