Agony of the soul (?) etc

Rushikesh K. Joshi rushi at BRONTO.IITM.ERNET.IN
Thu Jan 16 21:39:25 CST 1997

Dear Chuck,

I have some comments for  you:

>       Until we move beyond a spiritual hierarchy that seeks to stratify
> people,

You mean break the Guru-Shishya relationship or the system that creates it ?
There is so much beauty in this spiritual hierarchy that is very natural.
Why should moving beyond the hierarchy be our goal at all ? If you say
we cannot be any freer than what we are, then why move out of this hierarchy?

> how can we ever experience the loving equanimity demonstrated so
> beautifully in how Maharshi lived out his life and related so
> compassionately to those around him?

Is loving equanimity and compassion the final goal ?

>      You cannot really "achieve" liberation.  How can you become freer than
> you already are?  Moksha is not something to be gained, but something  only
> to be discovered.   It is always fully present.  Bondage is illusory.

I can give the following meaning to your statement:

We are already free, like a free bird in the garden. But now the
fruit has to be discovered. Why ? We discover the fruit because we are hungry.
But after eating the fruit, we say that hunger is illusory. Now where is
the hunger anyway ?! This fruit permanently quenched the hunger! Is it okay ?

>      There's only the Self.  The ego is only the Self pretending that it's
> not the Self.

Why does the Self fall into this funny game of pretending itself as not the
Self ? Whom does it want to fool ?

>      I hesitate naming either pride or ignorance as sins  because it implies
> that they are wrong or bad. They are only states of mind that are there to
> help you discover that there is nothing  to be either "proud of" or
> "ignorant about."

First the Self pretended to be the non Self, and now that game itself is to be
named as a "help" to again discover the Self !!

>      The illusory ego wants to say "NO!"   The Self only says the
> unconditional "YES!" .......even to the times when you become proud of your
> pride.

I like to add one adjective to the "Self" in above statement:

        The "illusory" Self that says ......

Regards and best new year wishes,

Joshi